Thursday, August 4, 2011

Starting Pains

Not long after I began this blog, I wrote a post about keys, and how after four years I was comfortable in Saint Juan Diego Parish.  I knew what keys went with what lock.  I contrasted that with the feelings of frustration and anger when I first arrived in Sharpsburg, when I found that there was no organization of keys.  Only by slow trial and error did I find my way around the buildings.

Little did I know that a few short months later I would be reliving the same feelings of being new in a parish.  My new assignment in New Castle officially began on Monday, August 1.   That day I attended a one-day workshop on leadership skills, while a moving company packed and hauled my stuff north.  I had an enjoyable dinner and long conversation with one of the true characters in our presbyerate.  During dinner I learned that the moving company was behind, and wouldn’t deliver my clothing, books and other things until Tuesday morning.  Good thing I had an overnight bag with my toothbrush and a change of clothing in my car.  I arrived at St. Vincent de Paul Parish at 10 p.m.  Upon opening the front door of the rectory I set off the alarm.  Nobody told me the alarm would be on, I had no knowledge of the company or the alarm code, so I stood there while the banshee wailed into the warm night.
Then I realized the former pastor had given me a list of employees, which was in the trunk of my car.  I called the janitor, and he came over about ten minutes later, just as a police officer did.  I certainly looked like a thief (tee shirt, baggy shorts, crocs) not a priest, but he passed on busting me.

That was my introduction to my new dual assignment as administrator (pastor) of St. Vincent de Paul Parish and St. Vitus Parish, New Castle. 
I’m now on day four, and I think I know the first names of most of the parish employees.  I still don’t have keys to St. Vitus church, rectory or school, but I do have a clicker to the garage, which gets me into the parish office.  I’m not yet at the frustration stage.  But it will come.



No comments:

Post a Comment