Thursday, October 6, 2011

Welcome Mat

I was transferred to these two parishes in New Castle on August 1, 2011. This is the 11th locale for ministry, my 13th actual move, in my 33 years as a priest. (Two times I have switched rectories within an assignment.  Once two parishes merged; once I sold the rectory  in which I was living.)   Moving is no fun; neither is learning a whole new set of names of parishioners and staff.

But I have found that people are welcoming just about everywhere. This has been especially true here in New Castle.  I came days before the four-day Summer Festival of St. Vitus Parish.  Walking the grounds and the school and the booths gave me at least the chance to be seen by a large number of parishioners and neighbors. I can’t say that I remember very many of the names of folks. Only one of me but thousands of them! But people were friendly. 

The same hospitality has been in evidence at the parish where I now reside, St. Vincent de Paul.

A recent example of the friendliness is when I received a very nice invitation a week ago by the faculty of St. Vitus School to dinner, in order to celebrate my 33rd anniversary of priesthood ordination.  We went to a local Italian restaurant (are there any other kind in New Castle?!) and had a great time.


The next day, Friday, September 30, was my actual anniversary.  The students of St. Vitus School gave me "a rosary garden" during their regular weekly Mass.  Each student had said ten Hail Mary's for me.  Students gave me three cute posters which listed the classrooms and names of each student and teacher, all in the form of a flower garden.  After Mass we went outside into the warm fall morning and posed for an all-school picture.  The priest on the left is my associate for both parishes, Father Sean Francis. 



Each day I feel more and more at home here in New Castle.







1 comment:

  1. So glad you are starting to feel at home because we are already considering you part of our St. Vitus family.

    Great job on the pictures! You are such a "Techie"
    Did you get a chance to check out the slide show from your 33rd celebration?

    https://sites.google.com/a/stvitusschool.org/homepage/faculty-page

    ReplyDelete