Monday, April 16, 2012

Philly Phanatic

Most folks know that the word "fan," as in "an enthusiastic devotee," is a shortened form of "fanatic," that is, someone with extreme zeal, moving toward unbalanced or obsessive behavior.  It's a short path from cheering to craziness. 

I wonder if I walked that path this week.

Five days ago, in my fearless hockey predictions, I opined that the Pittsburgh Penguins would beat the Philadephia Flyers in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoff in seven games, and go on to win the Cup, just as they did in 2009.

Goes to show you what a crystal ball I have.

For those of you who are just returning from a vacation in Antartica, the Penguins are down three games to zero.  Worse, they have lost by 4-3 in overtime, 8-5 and 8-4.  Worse, they have blown leads of 3-0 (in game one) and 3-1 (in game two).  Worse, they have given up 20 goals in three games.  Worse, after leading the league in fewest power play goals given up they've allowed ten in three games.  Worse, they have given up three short-handed goals in three games.  (In an 82 game season, an average team will give up only six or eight "shorties.")  Worse, in game three they Penguins lost their composure and picked useless fights which only drove them deeper into defeat.  Worse, they're losing to Philadelphia, for heavens sake, our forever hated cross-state rival.

After an excellent regular season, with much to be proud about, and after many hockey writers picked them (including Sports Illustrated -- the dreaded SI curse -- see www.sicurse.com ) to win the 16 games necessary to gain the Cup, the Pens have completely embarassed themselves.

And I'm mad.  I'm confused.  I'm frustrated. 

I'm mad at "my team" for failing to live up to my (and our whole region's) expectations.  We expected more.  More quality play, avoiding stupid giveaways and stupid penaties.  More composure, allowing the Flyers to lose theirs.  More wins.  Maybe not the Cup, but at least a long run through the playoffs.

This is a perfect lead-in to a wise maxim I learned from my spiritual director two summers ago.  "Expectations are the seed-bed of resentment."  He was applying it to the spiritual life.  But I apply it to every aspect of human life.  I expected wins from the Penguins.  When they didn't come, I'm mad, because my expectations were not met.  I resent the Penguins for not giving me what I want, or expect.

I'm confused.  One of the things I've liked about the Penguins the past several years (besides their excellent players -- Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Letang, etc.) is that they have grown into a "class act."  Their calm coach, Dan Byslma, has a plan and sticks to it.  Their general manager, Fred Shero, has provided the right mix of veterans, rookies, roll players and all-world players, within the NHL salary cap limitations, for his team to win, and win consistently.  Their co-owner, Mario Lemieux, has been the face of all that is good with professional hockey.  Their captain, Sidney Crosby, is (mostly) regarded both as one of the world's best players, and a media voice for the NHL across two countries.

All that has gone by the board with these three terrible losses.  The team has been anything but a class act.  No one has shown leadership.    They've been the goats (in game one and two) and the goons (in game three).  The resiliency the entire team displayed throughout the last two seasons, dealing with severe injuries to Staal, Malkin and Crosby, and a host of other players, is nowhere to be seen.  What happened?

And I'm frustrated with myself.  Why have I had such an emotional reaction to a bunch of millionaires playing a simple game on ice which has tickets so expensive I can't afford to purchase?  Why am I resentful?  Have I blown up a pleasant pasttime of being a hockey fan into an obsession that threatens me with depressed feelings and lethergy in all areas of my life?  Is this game more important than my pastor responsibilities, my ministry, my Christian faith?  Whoa!  I'm not sure I want to go there!  Am I a fanatic, not a fan?

The fact of the matter is that the Pittsburgh Penguins, or any professional team, owes me, and the fans, nothing.  They can earn my loyalty by their play, but in a real sense owe me nothing at all.  It's entertainment, pure and simple, if very expensive.     

I'm not sure I can summon the energy to even watch game four on Wednesday night.  My expectations of the team are below the floor.  I can hardly see how any amount of good play will restore their self-respect, as well as the respect of us very bewildered fans.  Only three teams in seventy-some years of Stanley Cup playoffs have come back from down 3-0 and won their series.  I don't even care what they do.

Until next year.

1 comment:

  1. Boy, now you know how St.Vitus school parents feel. After two excellent years from the St. Vitus PTG, having brought parents together, got them involved in the school, gave them a voice only to be disband. Why? because, booster parents didn’t want to stop at a fast food restaurants after school evening games, because parents wanted better security for the students, because parents wanted to be informed about the financial status of the school, because we wanted a standard of excellence.
    And I’m mad. I’m confused. I’m frustrated.
    I’m mad at “my team” (the diocese, the area priest and school staff) for failing to live up to my expectations. Parents expected more. More quality, avoiding stupid politics and pettiness. More wins in the area of academics, communications and community involvement (not just a select few).
    I’m confused, why push out the parents and volunteers that have done so much over the years? Are we not here to raise our children in the Catholic faith? Or are we here to push our own agendas?
    And I’m frustrated with myself and all those involved. Why have I had such an emotional reaction to a bunch of idiots running the school? Have I put too much emphasis on the importance of a Catholic education? Too much emphasis on a standard of excellence no one else wants to obtain?
    Well, unlike the sport’s season where there is another year, there isn’t another year for students to wait.

    ReplyDelete