Friday, July 20, 2012

Googlenope? Nope!

I almost did it!  I almost had a Googlenope.


What's a Googlenope?  (Of course, you can google it to find out!)  Humor columnist Gene Weingarten of the Washington Post coined the term a few years ago to describe a phrase which when you put it into the Google search engine between quotes, has no hits.


For example, Weingarten's first Googlenope was "Queen Elizabeth's buttocks."  Others he has found and written in his column are "In my past life I was an ordinary person" and "my gynecologist respects me."  


Of course, the Googlenope is elusive, and once identified, disappears.  The very act of identifying a Googlenope kills it.  Then it becomes a Googleyup--a phrase which has only one hit in the search engine.


A few weeks ago I did a post on the current heat wave enveloping the U.S.  In an attempt to be funny, I titled the post "Palm trees in New Castle."  Ha!  When a few days later I googled this phrase I came up with only one hit -- from 1956!  Not a Googlenope, but at least a Googleyup!


Try it!  See if you can come up with a Googlenope!  You read it here first.  


Let's see some other phrases I'll try:  "matinee idol handsome accordion player"; "holy atheist"; "evil nun"; or "dumbest blogger in New Castle."  



No comments:

Post a Comment