Thursday, July 4, 2013

New members of the Communion of Saints

When I pray the rosary, at the end I usually add on my own personal listing of favorite saints, and holy men and women  whose lives I admire.  I don't remember where I got the idea, but it is greatly consoling to bring these holy and loving saints to mind.



My listing of saints:  Francis of Assisi, Clare of Assisi, Cosmas & Damian, Joseph the Worker, Ambrose, Ignatius of Loyola, John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, Juan Diego, John Vianney, Therese of Lisieux, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Seat of Wisdom, Queen of Peace.

My listing of holy women and men:  Blessed Pope John XXIII, Cardinal Joseph Bernadin, Archbishop Oscar Romero, Bishop Wilhelm Emmanuel von Ketteler, Bishop Francis Baraga, Bishop Vincent Leonard, Msgr. Jack McCarren, Msgr. Phil Murnion, Msgr. Jack Egan, Fathers Donald Voelker, Joseph Henry, Raymond Brown, J. Berchmans Lanahan, Francis Seelos, Jack Price, Frank Sokol, Karl Rahner, Sister Marge Berry, and Dorothy Day.

(I know, I know, the second group is very clerical and has few -- one! -- laywoman and one woman religious.  I'm working on it.)

Over the past several weeks, three clerics died, whom I think I will have to include in my list:  Father Andrew M. Greeley, Bishop Joseph Sullivan, and Bishop Anthony Bosco. 

I'll do a posting on some personal reflections on each one.


No comments:

Post a Comment