Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Pilgrimage to the Holy Land

For various reasons I have not been consistent in blogging about issues and ideas and events near and far.  Most of those reasons have to do with parish ministry in four parishes in New Castle.  But for ten days I'll have a good reason not to blog.  I'll be on a spiritual pilgrimage to Israel from Monday, October 26 through Wednesday, November 4.

In December of 1989 through the intervention of Father John Kozar I went on a "fam-trip" quickie to Israel.  Two days in Jordan, five days in Israel, with 15 others from the Diocese of Brooklyn.  The idea was that we priests and laity would return to the United Sates and organize our own pilgrimages, using the tour operator who sponsored our cut-rate "familiarization" tour.  That is what I did.  I contacted a sister I knew who was an excellent teacher of the Bible, and who had many students in the greater Pittsburgh area who might want to go with us on a pilgrimage.

But in May of 1990, the first intifada between the Palestinians and the Israelis began.  Near open warfare, which killed tourism for quite a while.  I know it stopped any hope of sister and me leading a pilgrimage to the holy sites.

Time passed.  But the notion that I might return to the Holy Land never left me.  Last year I contacted a representative of the company which hosted our own bishop's pilgrimage to the Holy Land, Unitours, an outfit headquartered in New York.  Publicity in parish bulletins and the Pittsburgh Catholic brought 30 courageous souls forward to go on this trip.  Helene Paharik, who is associate general secretary for the Diocese of Pittsburgh, and a veteran pilgrim to the holy sites, agreed to join us as a co-leader.  




So, I'll have lots to talk about when I return.  Here's a bare outline of our trip:

Day One:  air travel from Pittsburgh to Tel Aviv.  
Day Two:  Caesarea, Mt. Carmel, overnight in Pilgerhaus guest house.
Day Three:  Church of the Annunciation, Cana, Mt. Tabor.
Day Four:  boat ride across Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Bethsaida, Mount of Beatitudes, Tabgha, Jordan river.
Day Five: bus ride to Jerusalem, Jericho, Bethany, overnight in Dan Jerusalem Hotel.
Day Six:  Church of Pater Noster, Dominus Flevit Chapel, Garden of Gethsemane, Church of All Nations, Ein Karem, optional tour of Yad Vashem.
Day Seven:  Bethlehem and Church of the Nativity, shopping in Palestinian stores, Qumran, possible dip in the Dead Sea.
Day Eight:  Via Dolorosa through the Old City of Jerusalem, Holy Sepulchre, Church of St. Ann, Kidron Valley, Church of St. Peter Gallicantu.
Day Nine:  Mt. Zion, Church of Dormition, Western (Wailing) Wall, Emmaus, Jaffa.
Day Ten:  overnight flight returning to Pittsburgh airport and home.




I am really looking forward to this pilgrimage, which will double for me as my spiritual retreat for the year.  Pray for us pilgrims.  We promise to pray for you, your health and your families.  



No comments:

Post a Comment