Wednesday, November 23, 2016

A Prayer for Thanksgiving

We used this prayer at our most recent meeting of the Pastoral Councils of the city of New Castle parishes.  I saw on line that it was attributed to "an unknown Confederate soldier."  Well, wherever it came from, it's very appropriate to the season.



I asked for health, that I might do greater things.

I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.

I asked for riches, that I might be happy.

I was given poverty, that I might be wise.

I asked for power, that I might have the praise of people.

I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life.

I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.

I received nothing that I asked for, but everything that I hoped for.

Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.

I am among all people, most richly blessed.

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment