Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Passion of the Boss

Three months ago I bought a new car.  After taking test drives in five different makes, I went back to my default, Honda.  This is the fifth Honda I’ve owned.

I thought I had researched the car well, but I was pleasantly surprised that it came with a three-month trial subscription to XM satellite radio.  And I was downright delirious to find on channel 20 “E Street Radio.”  Bruce Springsteen’s music 24/7/365.   Fan-dang-tastic!  My first thought was, where do I sign for a lifetime subscription?  My second was, will parishioners laugh at me if I start sleeping in my car to listen to the Boss all night?  My third, why did I take me so long to find this treasure?

As you might guess, I’ve a big Springsteen fan.  I’ve seen him in concert five times in Pittsburgh, once in Cleveland.  (I had a ticket to his concert in Buffalo a year ago, but was held back by 18” of snow on the I-90 snowbelt.)   I mention his lyrics in sermons, bulletin columns and – sorry Mom and Dad – even in the homilies I gave at my parents’ funerals.   One column I did for our diocesan newspaper summers ago motivated the editor to place a photo of Bruce on the front page. 

Listening to E Street Radio has widened my knowledge of the 300+ songs he’s written.  I’m still encountering songs he wrote I never heard of.  It’s also neat to hear different versions of the same song—studio, live with the E Street Band, and acoustic live.    

The thing I love about Springsteen most is the passion in his music-making.  Every concert, every song, every lyric, is delivered with utter conviction, even if he, and you, knows that it’s the 2000th time he’s done it in public.  Passion might be top-of-the-lungs screeching in “Born to Run” or “Streets of Fire.”  It means broken-hearted intensity in ballads such as “Back in Your Arms” or “Racing in the Street.”  It’s also having-a-grand-ole-joyful-time in “Glory Days” and most of the Seeger Sessions classic American folk tunes he recorded in 2006.  Would it surprise you that my will states I want Springsteen’s live recordings of “When the Saints Go Marchin’ In” and “This Little Light of Mine” played at my funeral Mass?

Just about every time I hear a Springsteen song, my conscience reminds me, do I put the same passion into my ministry, my prayer, my life, as this artist does into his life’s work?  As he sings in “Racing in the Street”:

Some guys they just give up living/And start dying little by little, piece by piece
Some guys come home from work and wash up/And go racin’ in the street.

As I’ve heard the Boss so many times ask us at concerts:  “IS THERE ANYONE ALIVE OUT THERE?!!!”



No comments:

Post a Comment