Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Letter 2011

As Christmas 1990 approached, and I began to think about writing Christmas cards, I wanted to share with my family and friends some significant events that had happened during the year.  One was bad, two were good, one was news.  On my parents' 42nd wedding anniversary my dad had a massive stroke while trying to enter St. Mary of Mercy Church, in Downtown Pittsburgh.  I was going to celebrate the noon Mass for Mom and Dad.  It was not to be.  Paramedics rushed dad to Mercy Hospital, where surgeons performed emergency surgery to relieve a blood aneurism in his brain.

That was the bad news.  The good news was that -- after 14 days in ICU, another 17 days in Mercy, and 100 days in a skilled care nursing facility -- Dad was doing ok in the Vincentian Nursing Home, McCandless.  The other good news was that after seven years I had successfully defended my dissertation and received a Ph.D. in theology from Duquesne University.  The news news was that after six years "at the Point" I was being transferred to St. Sebastian Parish, Ross.

Thus was born my annual Christmas letter.  I had received a few of these from families over the years.  But it was a vehicle for me to tell the bad news and good news that happened in our family over the past year. 

Ever year since I have written a Christmas letter.  Some were longer (and boy, did I hear about that!) and some were shorter.  Last year I even included color photos of my trips to Austria, Germany and Japan.  So without further ado, here is my annual Christmas letter.

My dear friends,

            Greetings from lovely New Castle, Pennsylvania.  As some of you know, on August 1 my bishop, David Zubik, transferred me from Saint Juan Diego Parish, Sharpsburg (Allegheny County) to administer two fine parishes here in Lawrence County, St. Vincent de Paul and St. Vitus.  This was my 13th move in 33 years of ministry.  But who’s counting?

            Over the years I’ve varied the format of my annual Christmas letter.  Let me try another one, focusing on feelings and dispositions during the past year. 

            Starting A.D. 2011 the Pittsburgh sporting scene experienced two losses.  The Steelers had a wild ride through the playoffs, only to lose to the hot Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl 45.  The Penguins were on a roll, hosting the outdoor Winter Classic in Heinz Field on an unseasonably toasty New Year’s Day.  Their all-world and classy captain, Sidney Crosby, was leading the scoring race by 20 points, and looked to lead the flightless birds to another Stanley Cup.  But concussions that day, and five days later, took Sid off the ice for the next ten months of difficult recuperation.  His return to playing (and his “glorious” 2 goal, 2 assist, first outing) on Nov. 21 was international news, and raised expectations of us Penguins fans for more Cup-raising.    

            In January thirty of us Pittsburgh priests (and our chief shepherd) were energized by beginning an 18 month program of workshops to improve our skills as pastors.  The “Good Leaders, Good Shepherds” program takes the best of business and leadership practices and translates them into Catholic parlance and culture.  The “learning leaders” have been great, the content rich.  We’ve had 15 days of interactive learning, which have also helped to build our presbyteral fraternal bonds.  I’m starting to put our mission-driven GLGS insights into pastoral practice with my new staffs and councils.

            At the end of February I bought a new car, my third Accord.  I figured after 11 years and 167,000 miles it was time.  This means little to those of you who hate driving.  But to a guy…heavenly!   An internet special in the dead of a slow sales winter allowed me to go all out, with V-6, heated leather seats, fog lights, Bluetooth hands-free, 270 hp, XM Sirius radio (a 24/7 channel devoted to Bruce Springsteen’s music!), white diamond pearl iridescence paint, and so much more.  Did I mention the fog lights?! 

            During lent I organized a seven week adult ed series on the Second Vatican Council (1962-65).  We are moving through a series of 50 year anniversaries of the most momentous Catholic event of the past 400 years.  My instinct on the importance of the half-century anniversaries was validated when later in the year Pope Benedict XVI called for a “Year of Faith” to mark the opening of Vatican II (October 11, 1962).    Anyone reading the council documents cannot miss their joyful, optimistic and hope-filled spirit, which we so need to make our own today.

            In the spring Saint Juan Diego Parish received word that we would host two seminarians for the summer.  Youngstown sem John Ettinger attended the C.P.E. program at three Veterans Administration hospitals.  John is a CMU-trained former engineer and thoughtful introvert.  Pittsburgh sem Levi Hartle worked with our parishioners to build an evangelization team, organize a talent show, and host a Festival of Praise (SRO faithful in Madonna Church, praying and singing with Bishop Zubik as special guest).  Levi’s love for the Lord Jesus, infectious smile and musical skills won the hearts of the parishioners.  Living with these two gentlemen made me feel like a mentor (a.k.a. an old priest L).   Both give me great hope for the future of effective and affective priestly ministry.

            Two years ago I was invited to join a priest support group.   Each month 13 of us sit as brothers, sharing our feelings, experiences, and pains in that difficult way of American men.  We have two insightful facilitators who challenge us to trust ourselves and each other.   I’m not sure what I have learned, but I most certainly have grown in respect for these unselfish and all-too-human servants of Christ and his church.

            My ministry and life turned upside down on June 28 when Bishop Zubik asked me to leave Saint Juan Diego to pastor two parishes in New Castle.   This change was especially tough.  I arrived in Sharpsburg in July 2007 not in the best of moods.  What I found did not improve my psyche.  But the devoted parishioners and I rolled up our sleeves, fixed buildings and re-built community.  The coming together of three historic parishes into the new Saint Juan Diego community on March 15, 2009, was a Eucharistic celebration of all that is right with the church.  And over the 48 months of my service I truly came to love each and every parishioner and our parish.  Lots of us had tears at the farewell organized by the pastoral council on July 31.

             So a new chapter in my life began on August 1.  This is my first assignment outside of Allegheny County.  My two parishes are quite different.  St. Vincent de Paul is a product of the 1990s diocesan reorganization, combining five small ethnic parishes into one, on a lovely New England-like campus (the scene on the card).  St. Vitus is in the top 15 in size of parishes in our diocese, with a parish school and full complement of ministries.  It has also been sheltered from change.  Since its founding in 1901 St. Vitus had only four pastors.  I am the fifth, the first non-Italian for this Italian personal parish.   I’m still learning the names, faces and culture of these two parishes.    With my parochial vicar, Father Sean Francis, living at St. Vitus, I chose to reside in the St. Vincent de Paul rectory.  I make the three-mile jaunt between parish offices daily.  The region is suffering and in decline, but there’s lots of vitality and potential in these two parishes.

             As it happened, it was my turn to host our 33rd priesthood ordination anniversary in October—one third of a century for the math-deprived.  Somehow this annual marking of the years hit me as an emotional downer.  As has been said, I have more yesterdays than tomorrows.  Yet joy is all around us.  This fall two couples whom I married have been blessed with sons.  U.S. Army Captain Mike Wiehagen and his wife EunHa are the proud parents of Joshua, born 11/11/11 in North Carolina.   John Wasiel and his wife Kayoko (for whose wedding I travelled to Tokyo, Japan, a year ago) are the proud parents of Chester, born in California.  I am so happy for my friends and their new gurgling babies, wrapped in Terrible Towels. 

Count me among the internet soldiers of the New Evangelization with my blog.  Enclosed with this letter are two business cards, one with typical info, one with my blog address.  Help me out, visit my site, become a friend!   May Christ’s church be warmed by the love of the Holy Family, and all of us brought to salvation by the newborn Savior.   A blessed Christmas to you!






No comments:

Post a Comment