Friday, December 20, 2013

A Serving of Sports Deli

When I moved from one rectory to another 17 months ago, I realized I was drowning in Pittsburgh Steelers stuff.  Here's a short list of what I have:

  • Jacket for fall
  • Leather jacket with all 6 Super Bowl win logos
  • Authentic Hines Ward game jersey
  • Gloves
  • Scarf
  • Socks
  • Blanket
  • Many tee shirts 
  • Many tossle caps
  • Many baseball hats
  • Key rings
  • Sweatshirt
  • Sweatpants
  • Watch
  • Post-it notes
  • Pair of Crocs
  • Waffle iron
  • Replica of Super Bowl XLIII ring
I don't think such possessions fit with Pope Francis's call for the clergy to forsake clericalism and live simple lives.  Oh well.  He too has a favorite football ("soccer") team.  He just received their red and blue championship shirt.

My cupboard of Penguins and Pirates stuff is much smaller.  But the playoffs beckon for both...

When I do need to feed my sports affiliation addiction, I go to the Sports Deli in Greentree.  This store is crammed with an incredible accumulation of current and past clothing, memorabilia, knickknacks, souvenirs and tchotchkes for local and national pro sports teams.  They also have a smaller selection of Pitt, Penn State and other college teams.



I wanted to buy my brother Martin a tossle cap with a Pirate logo as a Christmas present.  I couldn't find one anywhere.   I went to the Sports Deli.  And they had one (actually two)!  (I can say this on line, since my brother Martin does not have internet access, and is not a "friend.")

And Sports Deli is running sales.  20% off all merchandise, 60% of selected stuff.  Can't beat the price or the selection.



The store used to be in the Parkway Center mall.  When that sad mall closed, Sports Deli moved to a former Blockbuster shop across the access road, which leads to the Greentree Giant Eagle.  Easy access off the Parkway West.

Let me say that my blog is "commercial free."  I don't know the owner of the Sports Deli, and have received no compensation for this post.  But it's a quintessential unassuming 'Burg place, and deserves all the customer support it can get.

Sports Deli.  1157 McKinney Lane, 15220.  412-922-8480.  www.prosportsstore.com 




No comments:

Post a Comment