Thursday, December 12, 2013

"Gravity" Rising

While on vacation a few weeks ago, I managed to see two arresting movies.  Gravity, starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, and Captain Phillips, starring Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi.  I have little doubt that both will be up for Best Picture of the Year when the Academy Award nominations are announced.



Let me offer just one comment about Gravity.  Beyond it's visually stunning photography, and excellent performance by Bullock, there was an underlying theme of the uplifting nature of the human heart.  In other words, there was rich spirituality in director Alfonso Cuaron's work.

I was going to try to express this in a blog, but upon returning home, I stumbled across a review of the movie by Father Robert Barron, a priest of the Archdiocese of Chicago, and noted commentator on all things Catholic.  I'll let him express the spirituality of Gravity so much better.  See his own written review or the video commentary.  (Both have spoilers revealed, if you haven't seen the movie.)

And by all accounts, go see both movies.  Gravity is best seen in 3-D, if you can find it at this late date.  

1 comment: